Bubbly owns New Year’s Eve, sure, but even on a champagne night San Diego County pours plenty of brews.
Some beery ways to ring in 2013:
• Can’t stay awake until midnight? Consider an afternoon visit to Blind Lady Ale House, where you can raise a Belgian ale to toast the New Year at midnight Brussels time, or 3 p.m. our time. This is a tradition at the Normal Heights restaurant/bar, co-owner Lee Chase said. “We get a lot of families with kids,” he noted, “and everyone gets home early.”
Blind Lady: 3416 Adams Ave., Normal Heights. (619) 255-2491 or blindladyalehouse.com (pictured)
• The county’s biggest brewery will host what may be the area’s biggest beer bash. Stone’s New Year’s Eve party is awash in brews (36 on tap), food (oysters, shrimp, short ribs, Korean BBQ pork belly, cherries jubilee and more) and music (DJs plus the live stylings of the Soulfires). It’s costly — $99 — but the 7 p.m. to 1 a.m. event is an all-you-can-eat-and-dance affair (the beer will cost you extra) that, yes, includes a champagne toast when the clock strikes 12. Reservations are required.
Stone: 1999 Citracado Parkway, Escondido. (760) 471-4999 or stoneworldbistro.com
• Welcome ’13 in Old World style at Cucina Urbana by noshing on pasta and sampling the restaurant’s new artisan Italian brews from Baladin, Bruton, Amiata and Oro di Milano. There’s a three-course prix fixe dinner, served from 5 to 6:15 p.m., for $50; at 6:30 p.m., this becomes a four-course meal for $65. Reservations are a must.
Cucina Urbana: 505 Laurel St., Park West. (619) 239-2222 or cucinaurbana.com
• From 7 p.m. to midnight, Regal Beagle will offer unlimited house-made sausages and craft beers for $60. One catch: This cozy spot is limiting the number of revelers to 60, so sign up at the bar in advance.
Regal Beagle: 3659 India St., Suite 101, Midtown. (619) 297-2337; regalbeaglesd.com
• Lambic beers, with their champagne-fine bubbles, will cap Sessions Public’s four-course, $35 meal. If you insist on sparkling wine, reserve a table for two or more at least 48 hours in advance — then order a bottle at 50 percent off.
Sessions Public: 4204 Voltaire St., Ocean Beach. (619) 756-7715r or sessionspublic.com
• Psst — South Park Abbey, the Belgian-themed restaurant/bar, will host a private potluck and open bar from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Attendance is limited to a select group of regulars, each paying $50 for the beers. If you’re an Abbey insider, enjoy. And if you’re not, happy new beer!
South Park Abbey: 1946 Fern St., South Park. (619) 696-0096
Read the full story and more on utsandiego.com